You can set up waypoints to have ships built at spaceyards automatically go to a given location. Define the waypoint under Empire Status, and select the given waypoint at a space yard by "set move to" button. A player can set up to 10 waypoints in a game.
Q: How do I actually set automatic "move to" orders?
- (Part I) Setting Automatic Move To Points.
- Click on the EMPIRE STATUS icon. (The Gold Crown Icon second row 4th from the left.)
- Click on WAYPOINTS
- Click on one of the numbers in EXSISTING WAYPOINTS.
- Click SET (This will take you back to the System map.
- Click on the system you want to have the Automatic Go To set in.
- Click on the Place you want it to be. Can be any spot. Warp Point, Planet, Asteroid, etc.
- (Part II) Setting order to move to Automatic Move To Point.
- Open the Construction Queues icon. (The Wrench 6th from the left on the TOP row.) Or open a specific Planet Build Queue.
- Pick a planet, then click on the Build Queue icon. (Second row, 11th from the left, looks like a steam shovel.) This will open up that planets build queue.
- Once you are in the Planet Build Queue of any planet you choose. (Provided it has a shipyard.) You can set the Move To orders.
- Click the SET MOVE TO button. (9th from the top on the right hand side.)
- Click the number that corresponds to your desired location that you want the ship to move to once it has been constructed.
- NOTE: The queue will send all ships that it constructs to that location unless you specify other, or clear the Move To command.
- To remove a Go To Location entirely, repeat the steps in Part I, except this time click DELETE instead of SET.
- To clear a planets build queue's Move To orders, simply click Clear Move To. (10th down from the top on the right side.)
- (Part III)
- Choose a ship.
- Click the Move To Waypoint Icon. (Top Row, 8th icon. Looks sort of like a yellow triangle)
- Click the number that corresponds to your desired location that you want the ship to move to.
A better way to make waypoints is to use the hotkeys. On the system map, hit alt + # (where # is the number of the way point you want to set) and then click on the sector you want to set the waypoint in. Much faster. You can hit ctrl + # to send a ship/fleet to a waypoint directly. ctrl + # doesn't work for setting auto waypoints at SYs, but then, how could it? (Imperator Fyron)
Using Waypoints is a great way to simplify some of the micromanagement. If you only use 1 waypoint, make your homeworld waypoint 1. I usually transform my homeworld into a training center at some point in the game. It is very convenient to click on a ship and then hit CTRL-1 to send it to my homeworld for training. If I make another training world or fleet rally point, it is easy to use another waypoint for that one too. You are limited to 10 waypoints, but I have never needed all 10. You can also make spaceyards automatically send ships to a given waypoint. Also, rename your waypoints to give them descriptive titles such as "home", "defensive chokepoint 1", etc. I haven't tried this, but I believe that if you move a waypoint, all the ships which have orders to move to that waypoint will automatically go to the new location. This might be a good way to have a "rolling" fleet staging point.
You cannot chain waypoints together and ships will not automatically resupply along the way to a waypoint.
Be careful with the "Set Move To" option at a spaceyard when you build colonizers. Usually you don't want to automatically move colonizers.
| Manual (SEIV)