This talk page is listed on the Space Empires Wiki Documentation Project page.
Space Empires Wiki Documentation Project Discussion
Welcome to the project. Feel free to post your thoughts on the development of the Space Empires Wiki here.
- Well this is it, the main discussion page for the Space Empires Wiki. Post here your thoughts on the direction we should take, and how it should evolve. Inigma 20:52, 14 October 2005 (BST)
Article Naming Conventions
- I've added a link to a page to categorize our article naming conventions. Inigma 22:58, 14 October 2005 (BST)
- Not sure about the logo. People might get confused and read it "Space Wiki Empires". Comments? Inigma 01:14, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- Hey all, I like the new logo. Inigma 14:21, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- I like the Wikipedia book with blue type. I agree with the possibility of Space Wiki Empires confusion.
--wildcard06 15:48, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- Ok, so my logo was confusing, but I'm not keen on the new one. A logo within a book? Why not just have the logo... we're looking at the book in the form of the wiki. Just the logo with the blackhole in the middle would look much better. I don't like how the current logo doesn't blend in with its surroundings either. The idea is cool, it'd make a good 'offite' link back to the wiki, but its not appropriate here. --Markavian 17:21, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- I agree. I like the new logo, but the book doesn't work all that well. Could someone just put the logo there instead of the logo and book? It might look better. Inigma 17:25, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- I was thinking, should we make the Documentation Project page the link the Community Portal links to? That way it'd be easily accessible on the left menu. Inigma 17:52, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- Can I edit what is in the left menu easily? Fyron 18:03, 15 October 2005 (BST)
- Fyron, I've uploaded a spreadsheet to the SE Portal for use in Spreadsheet for SEIV. Can we upload files to this wiki directly? inigma 16:57, 18 October 2005 (BST)
- Hey Fyron, could you enable image uploading? This site in desperate need of screen shots for the FAQ for SEIV and Strategy Guide for SEIV, as well as other pages. If you've disabled it for a reason, I'd like to know. If this is the case, do you have an alternative solution? inigma 16:59, 19 October 2005 (BST)
- An encyclopedia hosting files is a tad strange... I'll look into images, but don't think hosting any other files would be a good idea. Fyron 21:42, 19 October 2005 (BST)
- I was thinking of hosting the Getting Started Game Guide for SEIV. Can you restrict file types? If so, I suggest restricting it to .pdf, .xls, and .doc inigma 22:26, 19 October 2005 (BST)
- Image uploading is now available. See the toolbox on the left. Fyron 07:22, 20 October 2005 (BST)
Races or Empires?
- shall it be races or empires, or both? What's the difference? To redirect a page, simply do the following:
#REDIRECT [[page link]]
I think we should decide how we want to list races and empires for stock versions of the games. Currently in Special:categories the category "Encyclopedia" exists as a catch all, but should we also create a category for Races, or Empires? inigma 17:39, 19 October 2005 (BST)
- I'd go with races because the same race can be used for different empires. Also, it is the name of the folder containing the ship sets (Pictures\Races). Fyron 21:31, 19 October 2005 (BST)
- The Races category needs to include both stock races and custom races. There can be subcategories fr stock versus non-stock, but they both count as "Races." Fyron 03:05, 24 October 2005 (BST)
- Further... we have 3 redundant categories: Shipsets, Races, Player Empires. All of these are categories listing pretty much the same thing. Its extra work having to maintain all 3 pages, and creates confusion, in my opinion. Fyron 03:46, 24 October 2005 (BST)
- Strategia 08:42, 21 November 2005 (GMT) IMO there are enough differences between shipsets, races and player empires to warrant the distinction. My view:
- Shipsets: Like the Bob or Sev. Shipsets without any (custom) race/AI files. Custom shipsets with stock AI files also fall into thos category IMO.
- Races: Shipsets with (complete) custom AI, i.e. shipsets with their own character. For example, AT's Star Trek races. Can also be called Empires, but not (necessarily) Player Empires.
- Player Empires: PBW Empires which may or may not have the same name as the shipset. For example, if I were to use a Cryslonite set and call them something completely different (such as Silicon Collective, or whatever) I would count it as a Player Empire.
- Dogscoff 22:42, 23 November 2005 (GMT) I disagree. While there should definitely be articles explaining the distinctions you have pointed out, users are not going to want to go to one page to see a list of "shipsets", another page for a list of "player empires" and so on, particularly when these distinctions are being defined somewhat arbitrarily for the purposes of this wiki. However, it might be worthwhile using categories to sort shipsets into these different types.
- Adding a category for "Has AI" might be ok. No need for "Doesn't have AI" though, as I see it. The only important use for such a category is finding sets that have AI for use in single player. Not much use to find all sets that do not have AI in my opinion. Keeping the number of categories to a minimum is IMO for the best, so as to reduce unecessary clutter.
Essentially, we need just a single category for (SEIV) shipsets, and can use subcategories to create the other lists. I still see no purpose to maintaining redundant list pages. Fyron 23:37, 26 November 2005 (GMT)
- Well, maybe they could all be in one list, with subdivisions in that list? So you have the "Shipsets" category/list, which is split (though not on multiple pages) into "Shipsets", "Races", "Player Empires" and "Other Races/Empires" (for races/empires that only appear in fanfic or are WIP, i.e. races/empires without the shipset pics) Strategia 12:37, 19 April 2006 (BST)
- I've listed the talk pages for priority projects for this wiki here. Right now, I am doing everything I can to get the FAQ ported over, but I could use some help. Feel free to expand this wiki in any area you want; I just wanted everyone to know what I am working on as a priority, and I want to direct this project to focusing on it so we don't grow too fast. Everyone has done a wonderful job so far. I am sure new players will appreciate all your hard work. Please check out FAQ for SEIV if you haven't already done so, and see what you can do to help. inigma 17:22, 20 October 2005 (BST)
- Copied the text in the Facilities article to the top of the category page. If you wanna add info, I suggest you add it to the article proper, the cat description needs to be concise. I'll snoop around some more and see if there's more pages and categories that need this kind of attention Strategia 12:44, 19 April 2006 (BST)