As with any community, SE players have their fair share of slang terminology. Following is a partial list of such terms.
- GUTB was a Shrapnel forum poster that made a name for himself with dogged insistence on a particular Escort-only strategy.
- A characteristically bad starting position in a game. A classic example is a starting location where you have nebulae and black holes for 3 warps in every direction, possibly without any colonizable planets in your home system.
- An affection synonym for a ringworld, named in honour of pouty 80s brat pack actress Molly Ringwald. Binary and trinary systems sporting multiple ringworlds are referred to as 'double mollies' and 'triple mollies' respectively.
- The practice of playing a peacefull race and invading your neighbors with friendly colonyships. Also, the practice of playing a peacefull race and building overwhelming military forces while your neighbors expend their forces in border wars.
- A term used to describe the simultaneous detonation of all three stars in a trinary system. Coined by Agent Zero in Hell is for Heroes.
- Canon Cannon. A very silly thing, indeed.
- "#SpaceEmpires" IRC channel slang derived from Inscruteable. Verb form of the antonym.
Space Empires 10:
- A fictitious game which is highly addictive and can be played with one's significant other, unlike all previous iterations of the series. (Note to modders: this might be useful as a Cultural Achievement or Random Event: "We have discovered Space Empires 10, sire! Population on all planets increased by 10 million!")
- Anti-Proton Beam
- Base Space Yard; a base with a SY.
- Capital Ship Missile
- Depleted Uranium Cannon
- Null Space Projector
PD or PDC:
- Point-Defense Cannons
- Play By Web, the primary SE4 multiplayer server.
- Phased-Polaron Beam
- Stellar Manipulation
- Space Yard
- Space Yard Ship; a ship with a SY.
- Wave Motion Gun