Shipset Tutorials (SEV)
- Light Cruiser
- Baseship (alternate model: Starbase)
- Colony Ship
- Space Station
- Weapons Platform+
+Hulls marked with + can use either a single model, which will be scaled to small/medium/large sizes, or can have separate small/medium/large models (see VehicleSizes.txt for information on the exact filenames required).
Notably absent from SE4 are the Escort, Battle Cruiser, and Battle Station; the Transport hulls have been renamed Freighters, the various "light" and "heavy" hulls are now standardized as "small" and "large" (except the oddball Light Cruiser), and small/medium/large versions of satellites, mines, and drones now can use individual models.
There are also optional organic and crystalline versions of all the hulls, for races that have organic or crystalline technology. If the appropriate hull is not found, the game will default to one of the regular versions (see VehicleSizes.txt for the exact order of precedence).
Required files for each hull size include:
- 3D model in .x format
- Model texture bitmap
- 128x128 color portrait
- 512x512 large color portrait
- 500x704 black-and-white top-down view (for slot layouts)
- Slot layout text file
Required general bitmaps include:
- "Ship set" icons (collection of 42x42 color topdowns in a 378x84 bitmap, similar to an SE3 shipset)
- "Vehicle texture" icons (collection of 64x64 color portraits in a 256x256 bitmap) - note: despite the name, these are not textures but actually portraits!
- "Unit combat texture" icons (collection of 128x128 color topdowns in a 256x256 bitmap) - note: despite the name, these are not textures but actually topdown views!
- "Flag set" - collection of various flags and emblems
- "Planet flag texture" - collection of various flags and emblems for marking ownership of planets
- "Fleet flag texture" - collection of various flags and emblems for marking ownership of fleets
- "Ship flag texture" - collection of various flags and emblems for marking ownership of ships
- 512x512 large race portrait
- 128x128 race portrait
- "Small race portraits" (36x36 and 42x42 race portraits in an 82x44 bitmap)
Required text/script files include:
- ?_AI_DesignNames.txt - a list of design names to be used by this empire when controlled by the AI (note that this is now part of a shipset and not separate like in SE3 and SE4).
- ?_AI_General.txt - general empire information.
- ?_AI_Main.txt - files used by the AI; also determines if the race can be a player race, an AI race, or a neutral race.
- ?_AI_Speech.txt - what the AI says when it sends messages.
- ?_InvConfiguration_Slots.txt - layout for the hull component slots (similar to Starfury).
- ?_Ships_XFileClasses.txt - defines models, firing points, explosions, etc. for the various vehicle sizes (similar to Starfury).
- ?_Main_Script.csf - compiled script file which determines the AI's actions on a turn.
- ?_Setup_Script.csf - compiled script file which determines the AI's actions when choosing race traits, etc. at the beginning of a game.
For information on creating .X models and Textures for SE5, the following is a list of online tutorials that you can follow: