The Antares Mod is a mod started and restarted many times by Ed Kolis but never actually finished. It was supposed to be based on Master of Orion II, with some of the good parts of MOO3 (such as the Harvesters and the gas-giant races) thrown in for good measure. It took its name from Antares, the homeworld of the Antarans, the Evil Uber Race of Doom (tm) from MOO2.
Ed is now restarting this mod once again, but this time for SE5! The new modding features in SE5 will allow for interesting things like the tech-branching style of MOO2 where you had to pick 1 of 3 techs every level...
(Using SE5 stock shipsets)
- Human -> Terran
- Psilon -> Phong
- Antaran -> Sithrak
- Ithkul -> CueCappa
- Eoladi -> Eee
- Sakkra -> Jraenar
- Trilarian -> Sergetti
- Silicoid -> Drushocka
- Meklar -> Xiati
- Darlok -> Amonkrie
- Klackon -> XiChung
- Imsaeis -> Abbidon
Surprising how well they match up, isn't it? Almost scary...
Each combat square in MOO2 translates to 5km, with ranges rounded to the nearest 10km. Since most weapons in MOO2 had a range of 12, this gives them a range of 60km, which is reasonable for SE5. All components have hitpoints equal to the square root of their tonnage, rounded to the nearest integer, save for armor and hull structure which have a lot more. This ensures that armor and hull structure are the primary factors in determining a ship's structural integrity.
The tech tree will be broken down into the 8 theoretical sciences from MOO2. Each theoretical science will have a number of levels, off of which will branch mutually exclusive (unless your race is Creative or it is below or equal to the default starting level) techs costing 1 research point (so only put 1% of your research into those techs!), representing the choice of applications at each level. (If it turns out that the NOT requirement is not working properly and the applied sciences can all be researched simultaneously, I'll have to think of a new system...) Like in MOO2, advancements and miniaturizations of components are discovered by researching the appropriate theoretical sciences; the applications will have only 1 level. Tech costs increase using a Fibonacci series starting at 5 (so Construction goes 5000, 8000, 13000, etc.)
Base Cost: 5000 RP Start Level: 1
- Colony Base - Special unit hull which can carry a colony module but cannot warp.
- Star Base - 300kT base hull. -50 to defense. Requires 250 crew.
- Infantry - 5kT troop hull. Top speed of 4 m/s. Can carry one head (1kT, bridge, +25 attack/defense), two legs (1kT, 2 m/s each, +25 defense), one rifle weapon (1kT), and one body armor (1kT) or an additional rifle.
- Small Orbital Commerce Center - Starbase component which reduces ship maintenance costs within a radius depending on its advancement level by 10%. (Not found in MOO2; is used to flesh out MOO2 starbases' intrinsic Command Point generation)
- Frigate - 25kT ship hull. Top speed of 5 km/s plus speed of engines. +50 to defense. Requires 50 crew, 1 armor/structure/engine.
- Destroyer - 60kT ship hull. Top speed of 4 km/s plus speed of engines. +25 to defense. Requires 75 crew, 2 armor/structure/engines.
- Cruiser - 120kT ship hull. Top speed of 3 km/s plus speed of engines. No defense modifier. Requires 125 crew, 3 armor/structure/engines.
- Battleship - 250kT ship hull. Top speed of 2 km/s plus speed of engines. -25 to defense. Requires 200 crew, 5 armor/structure/engines.
- Bridge - 1kT command center for ships and bases. +25 attack/defense. Carries 1kT of cargo, in case you want to use a hero.
- Small Crew Quarters - 1kT life support / quarters for 25 crew. All crew quarters in this mod can perform boarding actions.
- Medium Crew Quarters - 3kT life support / quarters for 100 crew.
- Large Crew Quarters - 9kT life support / quarters for 400 crew.
- Small Factory - 1000kT planetary spaceyard with 1000 metal rate (same as no spaceyard in this mod, but can construct spacecraft).
- Medium Factory - 4000kT planetary spaceyard with 2500 metal rate.
- Large Factory - 16000kT planetary spaceyard with 6500 metal rate.
- Civilian Workforce - 1000kT facility mining 3000 metals (by planet value) and producing 1000 credits in taxes.
- Civilian Farm - 1000kT facility farming 5000 food (by planet value) and producing 1000 credits in taxes.
- Legendary Helmsman - Hero unit which grants +20 to attack and defense to his ship. Heroes cost a LOT to build and maintain, so don't hire too many of them!
- Legendary Engineer - Hero which grants +10% to damage inflicted by his ship and repairs 50kT of ship damage per turn.
- Legendary Overseer - Hero unit which grants +5% mining and farming rate to a planet.
- Legendary Merchant - Hero unit which grants +10% tax rate to a planet.
- Legendary Diplomat - Hero unit which grants +3 happiness to a planet.
- Anti-Missile Rockets - Direct fire rockets with 85% chance to destroy an incoming missile, reduced by 1% per km distance to target out to a maximum range of 80km.
- Interceptor - 5kT fighter hull. Top speed of 6 km/s plus speed of engines (combat only).
- Fighter Bay (acquired when researching Interceptor) - Carries 20kT of cargo (4 interceptors); launches 1 fighter every 250ms.
- Reinforced Hull Mount - Triples the hitpoints of the Hull Structure and Engine components, but quintuples their build cost and quadruples their size.
- Small/Medium/Large Automated Factory - Same as Small/Medium/Large Factory, but constructs at rates of 1500/3750/10250.
- Missile Base - Special unit similar to a weapons platform but it can only carry missiles.
- Heavy Armor Mount - Triples the hitpoints of the Armor components, but triples their build cost and doubles their size.
- Battle Pods - Increases capacity of all ship hulls (retroactively) by 50% (by means of an if statement in the hull tonnage field). Increases cost by 25%.
- Troop Pods - 1kT component which provides 25 additional crew above and beyond required amount (crew requirements for hulls are exact; this component adds to those requirements and provides the necessary crew); can be used for boarding.
- Survival Pods - 2kT unit which can carry a 1kT stasis tube (for holding heroes) and a 1kT engine. +100 to defense. You also get a survival pod launcher for ships, which can launch survival pods (but not during combat, or the AI would go nuts and think they're fighters and launch away! So your ship has to survive combat, but the hero can flee if his ship is badly damaged.)
- Space Port - Increases tax rate on a planet by 50%.
- Tanks - 10kT troop hull. Top speed of 4 m/s. Can carry one cockpit (1kT, bridge, +25 attack/defense), two treads (1kT, 2 m/s each, +25 defense), one cannon weapon (4kT) or four rifle weapons (1kT each, if you want to call it an APC), and one vehicle armor (3kT).
- Fighter Garrison - not used; planets can already launch fighters on their own!
- Robo Mining Plant - 2000kT facility mining 10000 metals (by planet value) and producing 2000 credits in taxes. Increases productivity of Civilian Workforce on a planet by 40%.
- Battle Station - 600kT base hull. -75 to defense. Requires 350 crew.
- Medium Orbital Commerce Center - Battlestation component which reduces ship maintenance costs within a radius depending on its advancement level by 20%. Acquired when you research Battle Station.
- Powersuits - 10kT troop hull. Top speed of 6 m/s. Can carry one powersuit head (2kT, bridge, +40 attack/defense), two powersuit legs (2kT, 3 m/s each, +25 defense), two rifle weapons (1kT each), and one powered body armor (2kT)
- Fast Missile Rack Mount - Doubles damage and ordnance usage of missiles. Increases size and cost by 50%.
- Advanced Damage Control - Achievement which grants all ships the ability to self-repair completely after battle.
- Assault Shuttle - 15kT pseudo-fighter hull. Launched by assault shuttle bays. Top speed of 2 km/s plus speed of engines (combat only). Can carry troop pods for boarding.
- Titan - 500kT ship hull. Top speed of 1 km/s plus speed of engines. -50 to defense. Requires 250 crew, 8 armor/structure/engines.
- Ground Batteries - Special pseudo weapons platform hull which can carry only beams and cannons.
- Battleoids - 25kT troop hull. Top speed of 8 m/s. Can carry one mech cockpit (5kT, bridge, +10 attack/defense), two mech legs (3kT, 4 m/s each, +10 defense), two cannon weapons (4kT each), and three layers of vehicle armor (3kT each).
- Recyclotron - Increases all metal production on a planet by 50%.
- Automated Repair Unit - Repairs 50kT of hull damage per second (using armor regen ability).
- Artificial Planet Constructor - Battleship mountable component which turns asteroids into planets.
- Small/Medium/Large Robotic Factory - Same as Small/Medium/Large Factory, but constructs at rates of 3000/7500/18500.
- Bomber - 10kT fighter hull. Top speed of 4 km/s plus speed of engines (combat only). Large enough to carry special bombs launchable against ships.
- Deep Core Mine - 4000kT facility mining 40000 metals (by planet value) and producing 4000 credits in taxes. Increases productivity of Civilian Workforce on a planet by 40%.
- Core Waste Dumps - 4000kT facility doubling productivity of all mining efforts on a planet.
- Star Fortress - 1200kT base hull. -100 to defense. Requires 450 crew.
- Large Orbital Commerce Center - Starfortress component which reduces ship maintenance costs within a radius depending on its advancement level by 30%. Acquired when you research Star Fortress.
- Advanced City Planning - Cultural achievement which increase max. population for planets by 20%.
- Heavy Fighter - 20kT fighter hull. Top speed of 4 km/s plus speed of engines (combat only). Large enough to carry loads of armaments.
- Doom Star - 1200kT ship hull. Top speed depends entirely on engines. -75 to defense. Requires 300 crew, 12 armor/structure/engines.
- Artemis Mine - Mine laid in orbit of a planet. 1kT, carries 1kT warhead, does 10 damage, pierces shields. Costs virtually nothing to build.
Base Cost: 5000 RP Start Level: 2 todo